Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ad Parentes


384     -     385     -     386


Ad Parentes
Sum tua, care pater, tua sum caro, mater: in una
   Carne mea duo vos estis, et una caro.


TO HIS PARENTS
Dear Parents I am of your Flesh and Bone:
You both are in my Flesh, yet Flesh but one.

Source: John Owen (c.1564-c.1628), Epigrammata, 3.163, with an English translation by Thomas Harvey. Meter: Elegiac. The epigram is an elegant play on words involving caro, meaning "flesh," and carus, meaning "dear, beloved," along with a play on the words one and two, unus and duo.

Dear father (care pater), I am your flesh (sum tua caro); I am your flesh, mother: in my one flesh (in una carne mea), you are two (duo vos estis), and one (et una caro).

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word not on the list:

caro (carnis, f.): flesh
 
ad: to, up to, towards (+acc.)
duo: two
et: and
in: in, on (+ abl.); into onto (+ acc)
māter, mātris f.: mother
meus -a -um: my
parēns -ntis m./f.: parent
pater, patris m.: father, ancestor
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist
tuus -a -um: your
ūnus -a -um: one
vōs: you (pl.);  (gen.) vestrum/vestrī, (dat./abl.) vobis, (acc.) vōs