Thursday, February 2, 2012

Scientia et Caritas


245     -     246     -     247


Scientia et Caritas
Sunt duo noscendi, duo sunt mihi semper amandi:
Numen et ipsus ego, numen et alter ego.


I must know two things, two things love must I,
God and my Self, God and my Neighbour by.

Source: John Owen (c.1564-c.1628), Epigrammata, 10.18. The English version is by Thomas Harvey. Meter: Elegiac.  Note the parallelism between the first line and the second line: the two things that must be known (numen et ipsus ego, as in the maxim "know thyself") and two things that are to be loved (numen et alter ego, which is to say your neighbor, your brother, your friend, whom you love as yourself).

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

cāritas (cāritātis, f.): love, charity

alter altera alterum: other of two
amō -āre: to love; amans -ntis m./f.: lover
duo: two
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
et: and
ipse ipsa ipsum: him- her- itself
nōscō nōscere nōvī nōtum: learn, know
nūmen -inis n.: divine will, deity
scientia -ae f.: knowledge
semper: always, ever
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist