Friday, March 9, 2012

Pediculus

Here is today's distich by John Owen, with an English translation by Thomas Harvey, 8.35. This poem is a lot like the Aesop's fable about the bald man and the fly. I've included an illustration of that fable below since nobody really wants to look at a picture of an actual louse, right?

Pediculus
Tu morsu me laedis, egoque infero mortem;
Est tua culpa levis, non nego, poena gravis.


A LOUSE
Thou me doest bite, I kill thee: True, but small
Thy Crime’s, thy Punishment is Capital.


The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There are only two words in this poem that are not on the DCC list:

morsus, morsūs m. - biting, bite
pedīculus, - ī m. - louse

culpa -ae f.: guilt, fault, blame
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
gravis -e: heavy
īnferō -ferre -tulī -lātum: bring upon, against; bellum inferre: attack in war
laedō laedere laesī laesum: injure by striking, hurt
levis -e: light, trivial
mors mortis f.: death
negō -āre: deny, refuse
nōn: not
poena -ae f.: penalty, punishment
que (enclitic) - and
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist
tū tuī tibi tē: you (sing.)
tuus -a -um: your




musca et calvus