Monday, May 28, 2012

Versiculos in me...

Here is another distich by Martial, 11.64:

Versiculos in me narratur scribere Cinna:
Non scribit, cuius carmina nemo legit.

Jack writes severe lampoons on me, 'tis said -
But he writes nothing, who is never read.
(Hodgson)

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list, plus one proper name:

Cinna - proper name
versiculus, versiculī m. - little verse, tiny line of poetry

carmen -inis n.: song
ego me mihi mē: I, me
in: in, on (+ abl.); into onto (+ acc)
lego legere lēgī lēctum: gather, choose, read
narro -āre: relate, recount
nēmo: no one (gen. nullius, dat. nulli, abl. nullo or nulla > nullus -a -um)
nōn: not
qui, quae, quod: who, which, what; quis quid: who? what? which?
scrībo -ere scrīpsī scrīptum: write