Sunday, June 17, 2012

In Luce Ambulare


432     -     433     -     434


This is from the enormous anthology of distich poetry assembled by Barthold Nihus, Epigrammata Disticha, published in 1642; the poem is by Benedictus Haeftenus (1588-1648)

In Luce Ambulare
Lux ego sum mundi; mea post vestigia curre:
Qui sequitur me, non ambulat in tenebris.


The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

I am (ego sum) the light of the world (lux mundi); run (curre) after my footsteps (post mea vestigia): he who (qui) follows me (sequitur me) does not walk (non ambulat) in darkness (in tenebris).

ambulo, -āre - walk

currō currere cucurrī cursum: run
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
in: in, on (+ abl.); into, onto (+ acc)
lūx lūcis f.: light of day
meus -a -um: my
mundus -ī m.: world, universe, heavens
nōn: not
post: after (adv. and prep. +acc.)
qui quae quod: who, which, what / quis quid: who? what? which?
sequor sequī secūtus sum: follow
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist
tenebrae -brārum f. pl.: darkness, the shadows
vēstīgium -ī n.: footstep, footprint, track