Thursday, March 15, 2012

Omnia Mea Mecum Porto


380     -     381     -     382


Omnia Mea Mecum Porto
Porto domumque meam mecum meaque omnia; multis
Regibus hoc ipso ditior et potior.

I beare, about mee, all my store
And, yet, a King enjoyes not more.



Source: Gabriel Rollenhagen (1583-1619), Nucleus, 74, with an English rendering by George Wither. Meter: Elegiac. Rollenhagen has adapted this traditional saying of the wise man to the turtle who goes so far as to carry its own house wherever it goes!

I carry (porto) both my house (domumque meam) and all my things (meaque omnia) with me (mecum); for this reason (hoc ipso) I am richer and more powerful (ditior et potior) than many kings (multis regibus).

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

dīs (dītis): rich, wealthy, sumptuous

cum: with (prep. + abl.); when, since, although (conjunction + subj.)
domus -ūs f.: house, home
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
et: and
hic haec hoc: this; hōc: on this account
ipse ipsa ipsum: him- her- itself
meus -a -um: my
multus -a -um: much, many; multō, by far
omnis -e: all, every, as a whole
portō -āre: carry a load
potis -e: powerful, able
que (enclitic) - and
rēx rēgis m.: king