Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Quod Galla Volt


150     -     151     -     152


Quod Galla Volt
Volt, non volt dare Galla mihi; nec dicere possum,
quod volt et non volt, quid sibi Galla velit.


My Galla will and will not buss; / My fancy never could,
By willing and not willing thus, / Suppose what Galla would.
- Fletcher

Source: Martial (40 - c.104), Epigrammata, 3.90. Meter: Elegiac. Note that volt = vult.

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

Galla (Gallae, f.): Galla

dīco dīcere dīxī dictum: say; causam dicere, plead a case; diem dicere, appoint a day
do dare dedī datum: give
ego me mihi mē: I, me
et: and
neque, nec: and not, nor; neque . . . neque, neither . . . nor
nōn: not
possum posse potuī: be able
qui, quae, quod: who, which, what; quis quid: who? what? which?
sui, sibi, sē: him- her- itself
volo velle voluī: wish, be willing