Friday, July 20, 2012

Vultus Tuus


147     -     148     -     149


Vultus Tuus
Ante meos oculos praesto est tua semper imago
Et videor vultum mente videre tuum.


Source: Josephus Perez (1627-1694), Hortulus Carminum. Meter: Elegiac. Note the elegant word play: videor videre, "I seem to see."

Before my eyes (ante meos oculos) your image (tua imago) is always present (praesto est semper) and I seem to see in my mind (et videor mente videre) your face (vultum tuum).

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

praestō: at hand, ready, nearby

ante: before, in front of (adv. and prep. + acc.)
et: and
imāgo -inis f.: image, form, figure
mēns mentis f.: mind
meus -a -um: my
oculus -ī m.: eye
semper: always, ever
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist
tuus -a -um: your
videō vidēre vīdī vīsum: see
vultus -ūs m.: look, expression, face