Saturday, April 7, 2012

Foeneratoris Apologia

Here is today's distich by John Owen, with an English translation by Thomas Harvey, 8.48.

Faeneratoris Apologia
Quo mihi divitiae, si non conceditur uti?
Aera nitent usu, me iuvat usus opum.


THE USURERS APOLOGY
What good doth me my Money without use?
Gold’s bright with use, use doth me gain produce.

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There are only three words in this poem that are not on the DCC list:

apologia f. - defense, apology
faenerātor, faenerātōris m. - money-lender
niteō, nitēre - shine, glitter, glisten

aes aeris n.: copper, bronze
concēdō -cēdere -cessī -cessum: yield, withdraw
dīvitiae -ārum f. pl.: riches, wealth
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
iuvō iuvāre iūvī iūtum: help, assist; please, delight
nōn: not
ops opis f.: assistance, resources
qui quae quod: who, which, what / quis quid: who? what? which?
sī: if
ūsus -ūs m.: use, experience
ūtor ūtī ūsus sum: use