Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Decalogus et Symbolum

Here is today's distich by John Owen, with an English translation by Thomas Harvey, 10.17. I really like this one! It takes the contrast between faith and works, making very good use of the Latin gerundive to do so: why are more things commanded to me to be believed than to be done = why am I commanded to believe more things rather than to do them?

Decalogus et Symbolum
Cur credenda mihi faciendis plura iubentur?
Non tam difficile est credere quam facere.


THE DECALOGUE AND CREED
What’s my Belief, than Life, bound more unto?
’Cause ’tis more easie to believe than do.


The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There are two words which are not on the DCC list:

decalogus, -ī m. - decalogue, the Ten Commandments
symbolum, n. - creed

crēdo -ere crēdidī crēditum: believe
cūr: why?
difficilis -e: not easy, hard, difficult
ego me mihi mē: I, me
et: and
facio facere fēcī factum: do, make
iubeo -ēre iūssī iūssum: bid, order
nōn: not
plūs plūris n.: a greater amount or number, more
quam: how?; (after comparative) than
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist
tam: so