Saturday, February 4, 2012

Mitte, Non Promitte

Here is today's emblem and distich by Joachim Camerarius, 1.9. As someone who absolutely loves figs, I can definitely agree with this emblem! Not that I have anything against willows - but I prefer figs! A fig in the hand is worth a tree full of flowers! :-)

Mitte, Non Promitte
Gratior est fructu ficus quam flore salicta,
Missa ego promissis ante ferenda reor.




The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There are two words which are not on the DCC list:

fīcus - fig, fig tree
salictum, n. - willow grove

ante: before, in front of (adv. and prep. + acc.)
ego me mihi mē: I, me
fero ferre tulī lātum: bear, carry
flōs, flōris m.: flower, bloom
frūctus -ūs m.: fruit, crops; enjoyment, delight
grātus -a -um: pleasant; grateful
mitto -ere mīsī missum: send, let go
nōn: not
prōmitto -mittere -mīsī -missum: send forth, offer
quam: how?; (after comparative) than
reor rērī rātus sum: think, imagine, suppose, deem
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist