Monday, May 21, 2012

Summa Voluptas


145     -     146     -     147


Summa Voluptas
Dulcis Amor, tu vera animi, tu summa voluptas,
Ah! mihi tu flammis pectus adure tuis!


Source: Urbano Appendini (1777-1834), De Educatione Disticha. Meter: Elegiac. Note the use of the dative to express possession with a body part: mihi pectus, "my breast."

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

adūro, adūrere: set fire to, burn, inflame

amor -ōris m.: love
animus -ī m.: spirit, mind
dulcis -e: sweet
ego me mihi mē: I, me
flamma -ae f.: flame, fire
pectus -oris n.: chest, breast
summus -a -um: highest, farthest, last
tū tuī tibi tē: you (sing.)
tuus -a -um: your
vērus -a -um: true; vērē, truly
voluptās -ātis f.: pleasure enjoyment


No comments:

Post a Comment

(Comments are Google account only, but feel free to contact me directly at laura-gibbs@ou.edu if you do not have a Google account.)