Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Nomen Magnum


55     -     56     -     57


Nomen Magnum
Non umquam magnum te dicam nomen habere,
   Ni vere magno nomine digna geras.


Source: Urbano Appendini (1777-1834), De Educatione Disticha.Meter: Elegiac. The word ni is short for nisi, "unless."

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. All the words in this poem are on that list:

I would not ever say (non umquam dicam) that you have (te habere) a great name (magnum nomen), unless (ni) you accomplish (geras) deeds that are truly worthy (digna vere) of a great name (magno nomine).

dīco dīcere dīxī dictum: say; causam dicere, plead a case; diem dicere, appoint a day
dīgnus -a -um: worthy
gero gerere gessī gestum: bear, manage; bellum gerere, wage war
habeo -ēre -uī habitum: have, hold
māgnus -a -um great
nisi/nī: if not, unless
nōmen -inis n.: name
nōn: not
tū tuī tibi tē: you (sing.)
umquam: ever
vērus -a -um: true; vērē, truly






2 comments:

  1. I'd love to order this poster for my son who's turning 12 and loves drawing superheroes. His blog is maxcomix.wordpress.com. He (and I) are new to blogging so, right now, YOU are my super hero. How do you keep up with all your blogs?!

    I also run a hybrid school for homeschoolers where we meet once-a-week live within our 5-day a week curriculum. I would love to discuss with you our Latin curriculum and how we can make use of your compilations. I'm looking at them right now. Great stuff!

    Please contact me - Rosario - rtreilly@verizon.net / www.AquinasLearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rosario, I am so glad if the materials are useful to you! Most of the "posters" I do are based on jpg images that I find either at Wikipedia or at Flickr (and in this case, the original jpg has been removed from Wikipedia, sad to say) - so they are usually not good enough for printing as actual posters. But your son could make his own posters with photographs that he takes if he has a digital camera - the Automotivator that I use to create these posters is connected to Zazzle and you can order a poster if your starting image is HIGH-RESOLUTION, which it will be if he uses an image he takes with his own camera. Here is the Automotivator site: http://wigflip.com/automotivator/
    I actually don't do any new Latin stuff, but I blogged about Latin stuff for appx. 10 years so I am just recycling my old stuff. Luckily, there is plenty of it so that it still finds new readers even when being recycled!

    ReplyDelete

(Comments are Google account only, but feel free to contact me directly at laura-gibbs@ou.edu if you do not have a Google account.)