Monday, July 16, 2012

Roma-Amor


461     -     462     -     463


This is one of the riddles from Wilhelm Binder's Flores Aenigmatum Latinorum (1857).

ROMA-AMOR
Terra meum imperium per plurima saecla ferebat;
Si me convertis, fert iuga mundus adhuc.


The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list, and it is the key word of the poem: ROMA, which is AMOR (love) spelled backwards.

The earth (terra) endured my rule (ferebat meum imperium) for many centuries (per plurima saecla); if you flip me around (si me convertis), the world (mundus) still bears my yoke (adhuc fert iuga).

Rōma (Rōmae, f.): Rome

adhūc: thus far, to this point
amor -ōris m.: love
convertō -vertere -vertī -versum: turn about, turn, change
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
ferō ferre tulī lātum: bear, carry
imperium -ī n.: command, power
iugum -ī n.: yoke; ridge, chain of hills
meus -a -um: my
mundus -ī m.: world, universe, heavens
per: through (+acc.)
plurimus -a -um: the greatest number of, very many; plurimī, most people
saeculum -ī n.: generation, age, century
sī: if
terra -ae f.: land