Saturday, July 14, 2012

Tu Mihi Omnia


114     -     115     -     116


Tu Mihi Omnia
Tu mihi terra, Deus, mihi tu mare, tu mihi caelum,
   Denique cuncta mihi es: te sine, cuncta nihil.


Source: Giuseppe Gatti, Sales Poetici, Proverbiales, et Iocosi (1703). Meter: Elegiac. Note the inverted word order (very poetic): te sine = sine te.

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. All the words in this poem are on that list:

O God (Deus) you are my earth (tu mihi terra), you are my sea (tu mihi mare), you are my sky (tu mihi caelum), in fact you are everything to me (denique es cuncta mihi): without you (sine te), everything is nothing.

caelum -ī n.: sky, heavens
cūnctus -a -um: entire all together
dēnique: finally
deus -ī m.; dea -ae f. god; goddess
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
mare -is f.: sea
nihil, nīl: nothing; not at all
omnis -e: all, every, as a whole
sine: without (+ abl.)
sum, esse, fuī: be, exist
terra -ae f.: land
tū tuī tibi tē: you (sing.)