Monday, May 28, 2012

Spes Me Erigit


241     -     242     -     243


Spes Me Erigit
Tu, Spes, tu vitae flentem commissa prioris
Erigis et caeli me super alta vehis.


Source: Urbano Appendini (1777-1834), De Educatione Disticha. Meter: Elegiac. Note that the person who is flentem in the first line is the me of the second line: [me] flentem.

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

ērigō, ērigere: raise up, elevate

altus -a -um: high, lofty; deep
caelum -ī n.: sky, heavens
committo -mittere -mīsī -missum: join, entrust to (+ dat.); perform, do
ego me mihi mē: I, me
et: and
fleo flēre flēvī flētum: weep
prior -ius: earlier, preceding; prius or priusquam, before
spēs, speī f.: hope
super: over (adv. and prep. +acc.)
tū tuī tibi tē: you (sing.)
veho -ere vēxī vectum: carry; vehor, travel, ride
vīta -ae f.: life


No comments:

Post a Comment

(Comments are Google account only, but feel free to contact me directly at laura-gibbs@ou.edu if you do not have a Google account.)