Monday, May 28, 2012

Spes Me Erigit


241     -     242     -     243


Spes Me Erigit
Tu, Spes, tu vitae flentem commissa prioris
Erigis et caeli me super alta vehis.


Source: Urbano Appendini (1777-1834), De Educatione Disticha. Meter: Elegiac. Note that the person who is flentem in the first line is the me of the second line: [me] flentem.

You, Hope, (tu, Spes) you lift me up (tu erigis) as I bewail the things I did (flentem commissa) in my earlier life (vitae prioris) and you carry me (et me vehis) above heaven's heights (caeli super alta).

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

ērigō, ērigere: raise up, elevate

altus -a -um: high, lofty; deep
caelum -ī n.: sky, heavens
committo -mittere -mīsī -missum: join, entrust to (+ dat.); perform, do
ego me mihi mē: I, me
et: and
fleo flēre flēvī flētum: weep
prior -ius: earlier, preceding; prius or priusquam, before
spēs, speī f.: hope
super: over (adv. and prep. +acc.)
tū tuī tibi tē: you (sing.)
veho -ere vēxī vectum: carry; vehor, travel, ride
vīta -ae f.: life