Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pulchra Vestis


266     -     267     -     268


Pulchra Vestis
Si modo me spernis, mutata veste redibo;
Quod mihi non dederis, vestibus ipse dabis.


Source: Michaelis Verinus (c.1469-c.1487), Disticha. Meter: Elegiac.

The vocabulary is keyed to the DCC Latin Vocabulary list. There is only one word in this poem that is not on the DCC list:

If now you reject me (si modo me spernis), I will return (redibo) having changed my clothes (mutata veste); that [respect] which (quod) you would not give to me ( mihi non dederis), you will give to my clothes (estibus ipse dabis).

spernō, spernere: scorn, reject, despise

dō dare dedī datum: give
ego meī mihi mē: I, me
ipse ipsa ipsum: him- her- itself
modo: just, just now
mūtō -āre: change
nōn: not
pulcher -chra -chrum: beautiful
qui quae quod: who, which, what / quis quid: who? what? which?
redeō -īre -iī -itum: go back, return
sī: if
vestis -is f.: garment, robe, clothing